International dating sites 2012 calendar virginia dating site
The roof, originally built in pyramid form, has undergone various changes, culminating in the addition of four corner turrets in 1826.
On the top floor, an observation deck allows a bird's-eye view of the historic town and the Fagaras Mountains beyond.
In 1797, Samuel von Hahnemann opened in Sibiu the world's first homeopathic laboratory Sibiu is home to the first hospital in Romania (1292), the first pharmacy (1494) and the oldest museum in Romania, the Brukenthal Museum, opened in 1817 The first book in the Romanian language was printed in Sibiu in 1544 Traditionally, the Upper town was the wealthier part and commercial outlet, while the Lower town served as the manufacturing area.
The historical centre includes the Great Square, Huet Square, the beautiful Passage of Steps connecting the upper town to the lower town, the well-known Bridge of Lies, Goldsmiths' Square and the Small Square.
Sections of the medieval wall still guard the historic area, where narrow streets pass steep-roofed 17th century buildings with gable overhangs before opening into vast, church-dominated squares such as Great Square and Little Square.
Sibiu is a pedestrian-friendly city with two easily accessible levels: the Upper town, home to most of Sibiu's historic sights, and the Lower town, lined with colorful houses on cobblestone streets and bounded by imposing city walls and defense towers overlooking the river Cibin.
Although the entire network is remarkably well-preserved, the best-maintained section is the southeastern side which has been reinforced several times throughout the centuries since attacks most often came from that direction.
Built in the 13-th century, this tower was used as entrance gate to the second row of fortified walls built around Sibiu.
Throughout the centuries, the Council Tower served as a grain storehouse, a fire watchtower, a temporary prison and even as a museum of botany.
Over the years, the collections have been enriched through acquisitions and donations.
Completing the picture is the fairy-tale Blue House, an 18-th century baroque house bearing the old coat of arms of Sibiu on its facade.
Search for international dating sites 2012 calendar:
Sibiu (Hermannstadt in German) was the largest and wealthiest of the seven walled citadels* built in the 12th century by German settlers known as Transylvanian Saxons.